BNHA Wyman Park
Shaping a Monumental City: The City’s Growth in the 20th Century
Located near the Baltimore Museum of Art, the lands of Wyman Park are distinguished by the old beech forest and dramatic topography situated along the Stoney Run stream. Wyman Park is on approximately 88-acre site, bounded to the north by University Parkway, to the south by Falls Road, to the west by the neighborhoods of Hampden and Wyman Park, and to the east by San Martin Drive and the Remington community.
Wyman Park Dell, the first piece of Wyman Park, was donated to the city in 1902 to help maintain a naturalistic environment within the expanding urban development. At the same time, Johns Hopkins University acquired their Homewood Campus location, which is adjacent to much of the northern section of the park. To complement the park's natural setting, the Olmsted Brothers designed a series of meandering paths for strolling amongst the rustic plantings. A stream originally flowed through Wyman Park Dell, but was covered as part of stormwater drainage improvements in 1908.
In 1961, 30 acres of Wyman Park were sold to Johns Hopkins University for expansion of their campus, resulting in the university banking a large area of the northeastern section of the park along San Martin Drive. In 1968, ten acres of Wyman Park were sold to the Boy Scouts of America at the southern end of the park along Sisson Street.
Originally, the Maryland and Pennsylvania railroad line, affectionately known as the “Ma & Pa,” ran adjacent to the Stoney Run through much of the site. Though the railroad line was abandoned in 1943, some efforts have been made to restore the Ma & Pa as a trail.
Site summary courtesy of the Baltimore City Department of Recreation and Parks