BNHA Saint Paul's Episcopal Church
Baltimore City Landmark
National Register of Historic Places
Shaping a Monumental City: The City’s Growth in the 20th Century
Charles Street Byway
Points of Interest
233 N Charles St
Baltimore, Maryland 21225
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church (often referred to as “Old Saint Paul’s”) stands on the only property which has remained continuously under the same ownership since the original survey of Baltimore Town. In 1729, the Vestry of St. Paul’s Parish erected a small brick church on Lot 19, the highest point in the new town, thus providing the first public place of worship and establishing the mother church of all Episcopal congregations in the city. The present basilica-style structure is the fourth church building on the site. It was designed in 1854 by Richard Upjohn and combines 12th-century Italian elements on the exterior with Romanesque elements on the interior. Many prominent citizens have been members of this church.
The church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places and designated as a city landmark in 1975.
Site summary courtesy of the Baltimore City Commission for Historical and Architectural Preservation