BNHA Rehoboth Church of God in Christ Jesus Apostolic
Baltimore City Landmark
Points of Interest
The Rehoboth Church of God in Christ Jesus Apostolic is significant for its ties to Baltimore history, its prominence in the organization of the denomination, and its neo-Gothic architecture.
The site where the church stands today was once home to the Summerfield Church, a Methodist congregation established by Col. John Berry, a prominent Baltimorean and a defender of Fort McHenry during the 1814 Battle of Baltimore. In 1920, the Methodists constructed the church structure that stands today, replacing a smaller building the congregation had outgrown. The building was sold to the Church of God in 1954, which has been an excellent steward of this neo-Gothic structure for the past several decades. The Church of God congregation, established in 1934, has been a positive influence, offering needed services to the Rosewood neighborhood. Landmark designation would honor not only the building and the congregations that have shaped the community.