BNHA Patterson Theater
Baltimore City Landmark
Shaping a Monumental City: The City’s Growth in the 20th Century
Points of Interest
3136 Eastern Ave
Baltimore, Maryland 21224
The Patterson Theater has been a landmark in the Canton and Highlandtown neighborhoods since 1930. At a time before television, the theater represented the powerful influence the movie industry on Baltimore and the nation. John J. Zink, who designed over 30 movie houses in the Washington and Baltimore area, was the architect. Though simply ornamented in a Colonial Revival exterior, the theater was masterfully designed for good sight lines and acoustics. The theater is mostly known for its rare Art Deco marquee. It is the only vertical movie sign left in Baltimore that is lighted by hundreds of bulbs.
The theater was designated as a city landmark in 1999 and is home to the Creative Alliance. The organization presents a range of engaging cultural experiences. The Creative Alliance hosts and organizes hundreds of events each year that connect artists with audiences.
Site summary courtesy of the Baltimore City Commission for Historical and Architectural Preservation