BNHA Mercantile Safe Deposit and Trust Building
Baltimore City Landmark
National Register of Historic Places
Shaping a Monumental City: The City’s Growth in the 20th Century
Points of Interest
202 E Redwood St
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
The Mercantile Safe Deposit and Trust Company was founded in 1884, and their building was designed by J. B. Noel Wyatt and Joseph Evans Sperry. Opened in 1885, the interior was remodeled after damage in the Great Fire of 1904, which destroyed several neighboring structures. The exterior design, sculptural detail in stone, is outstanding for the period, and remains in almost original condition.
The building has been used for several purposes since the original company vacated the building. In May 2012, the Chesapeake Shakespeare Company purchased the property and began renovations to transform the building into a performing arts space. The bank building was designated a city landmark in 1975 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Site summary courtesy of the Baltimore City Commission for Historical and Architectural Preservation