BNHA Herring Run Park
Shaping a Monumental City: The City’s Growth in the 20th Century
3800 Belair Road
Baltimore, Maryland 21213
Herring Run Park’s 375 acres lie in the stream valley of the Herring Run in the former countryside areas north of the original Baltimore City limits. One of the oldest records of the land dates to 1734 for the sale of 1,400 acres of land by Colonel Sheradine in which the current Herring Run Park is set. This land was subdivided over the years and sold to private mill owners, farmers, and country estate landholders. The oldest mill on record is the Kingsbury Iron Furnace, built in 1744 by the Principio Company and situated just north of the current Pulaski Highway.
In 1902, the Municipal Art Society of Baltimore hired the services of the Olmsted Brothers to evaluate and recommend a comprehensive network of parks in the then-suburban portion of Baltimore. The resultant 1904 report “Development of Public Grounds for Greater Baltimore” evaluated potential park development based upon population trends and comparisons to other City park systems for health and environmental concerns.
Beyond its natural beauty, Herring Run Park offers a wide variety of opportunities for active recreation. A hiking/cycling trail currently extends from the park’s northern reaches in the Halls Spring Area (Harford Rd & Argonne Dr.) to the southernmost extension of the park near Sinclair Lane, providing opportunities to walk or bike along the stream bed.