BNHA Engine House No. 6 (Baltimore City Fire Museum)
Baltimore City Landmark
National Register of Historic Places
Shaping a Monumental City: The City’s Growth in the 20th Century
416 N Gay St
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
The Independent Fire Company house pre-dates the Baltimore City Fire Department, itself. It was the third building erected by this volunteer fire-fighters group to house its equipment, and, in 1858, when the City established a paid Fire Department, the building was purchased for $8,000. It is the only engine house remaining from that era, unchanged, and now houses a fire museum. It is reminiscent of the days when volunteer fire companies reached the peak of their rivalries and helped to give Baltimore its notorious name, “Mobtown.”
Architecturally, the building is of the Italian Gothic style. Its 103 foot campanile, with its clock and series of pointed arches, has long been a familiar landmark to Baltimoreans. It was designed by William H. Reasin and Samuel B. Wetherald. Engine House No. 6 is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is designated a city landmark.
The museum contains various artifact collections including furnishings, personal artifacts, tools, equipment, books, photographs, prints, drawings relating to the history of firefighting. The museum is located in Engine House No. 6, a uniquely designed building featuring a 103-foot brick Italianate Gothic tower.
Site description courtesy of the Baltimore City Commission for Historical and Architectural Preservation