BNHA D'Alesandro House
Baltimore City Landmark
Shaping a Monumental City: The City’s Growth in the 20th Century
245 Albemarle St
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
The modest brick rowhome at 245 Albemarle Street in Baltimore’s Little Italy neighborhood was the home of Thomas “Tommy” Ludwig John D’Alesandro, Jr. D’Alesandro represented Maryland’s third congressional district in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1938 to 1947. After serving in the U.S. Congress, he was elected mayor of Baltimore. During his twelve years as mayor, D’Alesandro succeeded in making great advances in health, housing, schools, recreation, policing, fire protection, street lighting, paving, traffic control, and water and sewer facilities.
Some of Mayor D’Alesandro’s accomplishments include the construction of the Jones Falls Expressway, the Baltimore Arena, Friendship International Airport (now BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport), Memorial Stadium, and the return of a Big League baseball team to Baltimore. He was a prominent political figure who shaped the history and heritage of Baltimore and its Italian community.
D'Alesandro's son, Thomas L. J. D'Alesandro III, also served as mayor from 1967 to 1971. D'Alesandro's daughter, Nancy Pelosi, represents California’s twelfth district in the U.S. House of Representatives and served as speaker of the house from 2007 to 2011.
The D’Alesandro House was designated a Baltimore City Landmark in 1987.
Source: Baltimore City Commission for Historical and Architectural Preservation