BNHA Cylburn House
Baltimore City Landmark
National Register of Historic Places
Shaping a Monumental City: The City’s Growth in the 20th Century
4915 Greenspring Ave
Baltimore, Maryland 21209
Cylburn is a stately manor house on the grounds of what is now Cylburn Arboretum. The residence was designed by George A. Frederick for Jesse Tyson. Construction began in 1863 and was complete in 1888. The home is notable for its construction material: gneiss quarried from Baltimore County.
In 1942, the City of Baltimore purchased the mansion and surrounding property for use as a park. Cylburn is now the headquarters for several organizations, including the Cylburn Wildflower Preserve and Garden Center, the Horticulture Division of the Department of Recreation and Parks, and the Maryland Ornithological Society. A nature museum, the Fessenden Herbarium, and a mounted bird collection are displayed in the house. Nature study trails have been developed and the formal gardens are being restored.
Cylburn House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was designated a Baltimore City Landmark in 1975.
Source: Baltimore City Commission for Historical and Architectural Preservation