BNHA Carroll Mansion
Baltimore City Landmark
National Register of Historic Places
Gaining Freedom for All: African American Heritage and the Struggle for Equality
Seeking Prosperity on the Chesapeake: Baltimore History from Colonial Times through the 1800s
Points of Interest
800 E Lombard St.
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
The Carroll Mansion is named for its most distinguished resident, Charles Carroll of Carrolton, the last surviving and only Roman Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence. Carroll purchased the house as a wedding present for his daughter, Mary, and son-in-law, Charles Canton, in 1818. The older Carroll wintered in the mansion the last 12 years of his life (1820 to 1832) and died there at the age of 95.
The mansion is the best-preserved example of a grand, 18th-century merchant's house still standing in Baltimore. During Carroll's time, the ground floor was used for business and family gatherings; the second floor was reserved for formal entertaining; and the third floor had sleeping rooms.
Later on, the Mansion was used for many different purposes. It was a boarding house for Irish and German immigrants; a saloon; a sweatshop for Russian Jews who made garments there; a vocational school; and a recreation center. Baltimore Mayor Theodore McKeldin spearheaded the effort to renovate the mansion and restore it to its early 19th-century appearance. Today the Carroll Mansion operates as a house museum and venue for special events.