BNHA Broadway Market
Shaping a Monumental City: The City’s Growth in the 20th Century
Historic Fell’s Point Trail
Points of Interest
1640 Aliceanna St
Baltimore, Maryland 21231
Baltimore’s public markets comprise the oldest continuously operating public market system in the United States. The land for Broadway (or Market) Square was donated by the Fell family for use as a public market. Broadway Market was established in 1784, occupying its current location since 1797. The markets were once the city’s major source of food for the family table. In the early days the market yards were equipped with stalls, barns and a weighing platform to accommodate the livestock the farmers brought into town to sell. On market days farmers came to Fell’s Point by wagon, boat, and ferry from nearby counties seeking an outlet for their products. Broadway Market, the oldest of the existing markets in Baltimore, has a long tradition of serving the residents of Fell’s Point and Baltimore.
Several structures have succeeded the original marker buildings. The present north market building (ca. 1864) was originally topped with a second-story hall used for social and civic affairs. After a fire damaged the building in the 1960s, the second story was removed. Current plans call for the second story’s reconstruction.
Site summary courtesy of the Preservation Society of Federal Hill and Fell’s Point