BNHA Bolton Square
Baltimore City Landmark
Shaping a Monumental City: The City’s Growth in the 20th Century
1400 Blocks of Mason and Jordan Streets; 200 & 300 Blocks of W. Lafayette Ave.
Bolton Square, a residential development composed of 35 modest modern brick townhomes, was Baltimore City’s first Modernist landmark. Designed in 1967 by Hugh Newell Jacobson, Bolton Square received the National Honor Award from the American Institute of Architects as well as other recognitions for design. The townhomes are arranged in three staggered rows, backing up to a shared elliptical green space. Jacobsen’s design is in scale with the many surrounding historic and modern rowhouses. Jacobson’s work is applauded for his regionalism and nod to local building traditions in his designs. Bolton Square was designated as a Baltimore City Landmark in 2008.
Source: Baltimore City Commission for Historical and Architectural Preservation