BNHA BNHA IS HIRING!
Content about BNHA IS HIRING!
Urban Rangers Interpreters for Heritage Area public tours and museum support
Baltimore National Heritage Area seeks individuals for our guided walking tours and museum support positions. Urban Rangers provide interpretation of the cultural and history assets on scripted walking tours: Heritage Walk ( Downtown & Historic Jonestown) , Historic Fell’s Point, Pennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail.
Individuals must be outgoing, articulate, like walking, enjoy outdoors and interacting with the public.
Act as ambassadors for the City of Baltimore. Urban Rangers should have a partial knowledge of museums and cultural institutions within the Baltimore National Heritage Area. Interpret script and resource materials provided by the National Heritage Area. Urban Rangers are required to shadow at least two tours before being assigned to guide tours independently.
Heritage Area offers guided tours, seven days per week from May 1- November 1th, in addition to group tours, school tours, and summer camp experiences.
The Baltimore National Heritage Area requires Urban Rangers to be on call, with notice for group tours.
Qualifications: Urban Rangers must be 18 years or older. High School degree or GED required. College or graduate study preferred with experience in education, history, architecture, museum studies, or a related field.
- Excellent speaking skills; especially the ability to succinctly express themselves. Public speaking or performance background beneficial.
- Strong interpersonal skills – must be able to make each visitor feel welcomed and engage with children.
- Sustained intellectual curiosity in Baltimore’s history and culture.
- Friendly attitude towards visitors, groups and staff and a strong team player. Outgoing personality able to promote walking tours and Heritage Area partners and museums.
- Must be able to work independently and be dependable.
- Must be able to walk or stand for periods up to 90 minutes to complete a 1.2-mile trail.
- Must be able to work outside in variable weather conditions, including summer heat.
- Must be able to speak at an acceptable volume for two 90 minute tours.
- Must be able to attend required training.
- Lead scheduled 90 minute tours of walking trails in the Baltimore National Heritage Area.
- Participate actively in training programs and other opportunities in order to expand knowledge of the tours and strengthen interpretive skills.
- Rangers welcome the public; promote tours, and direct visitors to facilities, exhibits, and other opportunities along tour routes.
- Assist in marketing tours when not giving tours, Attend events, festivals and programs which promote tours and Heritage Area resources.
- Participate in ongoing evaluation programs and data collection from tour participants.
- Respond to different groups of visitors (adults, school children, and families) by varying tour content and techniques.
- Provide high level of customer service and seamless visitor experience for guests.
- Rangers help ensure public safety by responding calmly and professionally to emergencies.
- Rangers provide guided interpretation on Baltimore trolley during a 90 minute designated route
Compensation: This is a contractual seasonal position. Urban Ranger pay is $15 per-hour, 3 hour minimum, plus gratuity for walking tours, Paid training $8.75 per hour.
Uniform shirt provided. Bottoms may be any shade of khaki colored pants, cargo shorts or appropriate length skirt or shorts, and closed toes comfortable walking shoes.
For consideration send resume to email@example.com, At least three professional and or personal references required.