Certainly! Please email Danielle Walter-Davis, Grants Portfolio Manager. We’re happy to talk with you about your project.
BNHA Heritage Investment Grant Program (HIG)
Content about Heritage Investment Grant Program (HIG)
Application Deadline: June 1, 2021 (11:59 pm)
The Baltimore Heritage Area Association, the management entity of the Baltimore National Heritage Area (BNHA), manages the Heritage Investment Grant program. This grant is a source of federal funding designed to provide small, but strategic investments in cultural heritage tourism projects within the geographic boundary of the national heritage area and which align with the U.S. National Park Service's priorities. The Heritage Investment Grant provides funds for non-capital projects. Eligible projects must address or complete a priority activity identified in and consistent with the goals, objectives, strategies, and actions outlined in the 2013 Baltimore National Heritage Area Comprehensive Management Plan.
The following non-capital project categories, located within the national heritage area’s boundary, are eligible (map below in FAQ). All requests can be up to $15,000 with a required dollar for dollar match.
- Capacity-building Support
- Operating Support
- Historic Preservation
- Collections Care and Conservation
- Heritage Tourism Events
- Land, Water, Environmental Conservation (to include archeology)
- Recreational Projects and Trails Programming
- Education and Interpretation
- Marketing and Outreach
* For the exception of capacity-building, operating support requests, and marketing grant applications all proposed projects must have a public facing component or plan (in-person or virtual) that is detailed in the application that will attract visitors to the project, site, collection, or demonstrate value in advancing heritage tourism within Baltimore's national heritage area's boundary.
Please reference the guidelines below for more detailed requirements.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Your project has to be located within the national heritage area boundary (please see map). Eligible applicants are non-profit organizations in good standing with the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation, or units of local government (Baltimore City) qualified to do business in Maryland, and have the legal capacity and authority to incur obligations involved under the grant program.
GETTING STARTED WITH THE APPLICATION PROCESS
- BNHA uses an online system for the grant process, which you can access once the grant cycle begins. Create a user account to allow you to save a working version of your application before final submission. If you have applied for grants with BNHA in the past, you can use the same User ID and password.
- First-time applicants are encouraged to email the Grants Portfolio Manager at email@example.com to discuss their proposed project and to ask any questions on the application process.
- The 2021 grant guidelines are available below. Application instructions are included in the online application for each question.
- Your grant application must include a specific budget form. A link to this form is provided below.
FORMS FOR YOUR APPLICATION